Friday, April 29, 2011

My Driving Experiences

It’s one of those days.  You know, the morning that you spill your coffee all over your crisp white shirt, the afternoon you nap through your big test, or the night out with friends that goes all wrong.  When I’m having one of those miserable, rage-provoking days, I find that I deal with them pretty well if I have time to drive around with my friends.  Talking alone, while it is an opportunity to vent, is not an escape from your surroundings.  Getting away, even just a few miles away, can change your perspective entirely.  Driving, with your favorite song on, receiving and giving advice, is extremely healing for me.    
           
Sometimes these conversations I have in the car end up being superficial or self-interested, but on certain occasions, we find ourselves talking about more important issues.  I’ve found out so many things about my close friends just by listening to them in the car, and often times, I find out that their opinions are quite different than what I would have expected. 

Most of the drives we take are short and to usual places like the mall, Target, or out to eat.  But, sometimes, we decide to take longer trips.  Junior year of high school, against our parent’s advice, my friend Farrah and I decided we would take a few days off and drive around Texas, visiting potential colleges.  We first went to Texas State, close to our home of Austin.  We then traveled to Rice, A&M, Baylor, TCU, and SMU.  The time we spent together driving back and forth, talking about what we wanted in the future, brought me way closer to her.  We talked each other through all of our fears about college, moving away, and who we would become.  When we came back from that trip, I felt like I knew so much more about what I wanted out of life.
               
Drives, even when taken alone, continue to have a calming effect on me.  I buy more gas than the average person, but I believe it’s worth it for me.  It’s exciting going places I’ve never been and driving just to see where I’ll end up.  I don’t typically think of myself as even the least bit adventurous.  I’m usually more on the safe side, worrying about what’s around the corner.  But when I’m in my car, driving down the highway, or a quiet street, I have absolutely no fear of the unknown.  This simple experience, that most people take for granted, or even consider tedious and aggravating, is one of my biggest pleasures. 

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand the way you feel when you go for a drive. I go on drives all the time when I need to escape, think, or take my mind off something that is bothering me. Usually I go on drives by myself though. I roll the windows down and turn up my music and go. Back home in Oregon I can drive 10 minutes and be up in the mountains. Its a beautiful place and the best way for me to get away and just be by myself. The last thing I did before going to college was get in my car and take a drive, and it was the first thing I did when I got back last summer. Driving is something I think I will always enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love to clear my mind through driving! Especially now around exams, I have intentionally volunteered to drive my friends around when we need a study break. I'm the kind of person who is always up for a random dance party to ease my stress and the car is one of the best places for that! Every now and then, mostly when I am stuck in traffic, I start to get frustrated with driving. However, after about five or ten minutes of being annoyed, I tend to relax and just enjoy the time where I have an excuse not to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. I love driving around to random spots. I don't own a GPS, and I rarely take directions with me when I'm driving somewhere. I just find the adventure so much fun. Fort Worth is perfect for driving. I found myself in the neighborhoods off of University a couple days ago and some of the houses are amazing. I just drove around with my AC off and the windows down, looking at the beautiful scenery until I wasn't stressed anymore. But now that gas is getting so expensive, my driving adventures have definitely shortened. :P

    ReplyDelete