Sunday, April 24, 2011

EASTER

Easter has been my favorite holiday ever since I can remember.  Of course, Christmas is a close runner-up, but the feelings surrounding Easter are like no other.  Yes, on Christmas Eve my family and I go to a wonderful church service, and on Christmas morning there are many presents every year. 
But with Easter, I will always remember how much I loved to get dressed up in my fancy dress to go Easter egg hunting at the church and how much I looked forward to dying eggs with my family.  Dying eggs at my house is a tradition that everyone loves.  We fill coffee cups with different colored dye and let the little ones pick the colors they want to dye their eggs.  Of course, it can get messy, with kids dunking their eggs into dye and reaching their hands in when they shouldn’t, but I guess that’s what is so fun about it. 
Spring is my favorite season, with its bright flowers, birds chirping, and sudden rainstorms.  The weather is warm and dewy, and it is perfect for spending some quality time outside.  Easter comes at a perfect time, and this year in particular, it has given me a brief weekend to forget about my final exams that lie ahead.  I get to spend time with my family and friends, eat good food, and embrace the idea of summer being around the corner. 
Easter is the one holiday where I can embrace my love for candy, bunnies, and pastel all in one day.  The big chocolate bunnies, marshmallow Peeps, and Reese’s eggs are always staples in my house around this time, and I have a feeling my parent’s will never stop giving me an Easter basket, even when I’m an adult living on my own.  They love the tradition as much as I do.  Even my black lab Bonnie has fun chasing the bunnies that live in our yard.  I wish I could tell the innocent bunnies that Bonnie may not have the best intentions, but I guess they will figure that out soon enough.  Poor bunnies.

No comments:

Post a Comment