Thursday, April 14, 2011

Megan and I

My cousin Megan and I have grown up together, and I feel like she is my twin.  We have experienced a lot of the same things, including vacations together, family reunions, and even the same schools.  Our moms are twins named Rhonda Fay and Wanda Kay.  Cheesy, I know.  We are always told we are their clones, even though we see ourselves as very different from them, as most teenagers do.  Our moms wanted us to be like sisters from the start, and I am thankful for the way we have grown up together.
Megan was born in April of 1991 and I was born in August of 1991.  We are so similar in age that we always had the same interests.  We fought like sisters, but we would get infuriated if anyone else said anything bad about the other.  For the first few years of our lives, our moms worked together, and we would spend the days with our Mimi and Papa.  They would take us to the park daily and we frequented the zoo and local restaraunts.  Some of my happiest memories are times that I’ve spent with them on these simple trips.
I’m happy that instead of being in daycare I got to spend so much time with my family.  I am best friends with Megan to this day, and we talk multiple times a day.  It is nice knowing that no matter what happens we will always have each other to talk to.  I have had moments where I was so angry at Megan that we would not talk for days, but since we are family, there is really no escaping each other. 
Our bond is closer than with any of our own siblings or other cousins.  Sometimes at family reunions we find ourselves talking together and excluding others, without even realizing we do it.  We are attached at the hip, and I wouldn’t want to be without her.  When we have families of our own, I already assume that our children will be best friends.  It’s just how we have always wanted it.  I always joke with her that if we both have twins, since they run in our family; we are going to have our hands full.  But the point is, no matter how our lives turn out or what the future holds, we will always have each other.  It’s reassuring to know that there is someone out there, besides your parents, that would do anything for you, without you even having to ask.



1 comment:

  1. Awe, this post is so sweet. That is so cool that you are so close with your cousin; you are so lucky. My cousin and I are like best friends, but we live on complete opposite sides of the United States. I wish so badly that we could see each other all the time and go on vacations together. I loved reading about this: awesome post.
    -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete